Skills your child will be developing with the Animal Early Learning Program
Throughout the Animal Early Learning Program your students will be engaged in developing foundational reading and maths skills.
Animal Early Learning Program Skills
Foundational Reading Skills
- I am learning follow words from left to right, top to bottom, and page by page. (Reading Cards)
- I am learning that words are separated by spaces in print.
- I am learning that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters. (DVD & Vocabulary Cards)
- I am learning to recognize and name all upper and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- I am learning to clap syllables in words
- I am learning to identify new meanings for familiar words and apply them accurately .
- I am learning to sort common objects into categories (e.g., farm animals, pets, zoo etc..)and understand why they belong in the category.
Foundational Maths Skills
- I am learning to understand the relationship between numbers and quantities.
- I am learning one to one correspondence
- I am learning that the number of objects stay the same regardless of the order they are counted
- I am learning to understand that each successive number name is one more.
- I am learning to answer “how many”.
Foundational Science Skills
- I am learning to groups animals according to their characteristics. (appearance, size, motion, where it lives, etc;)
- I am learning to explain the similarities and differences in animals. (appearance, colour, size)